In order to participate in the 21st century, access to computers and the Internet is necessary. Get Connected Oakland (GCO) is both a campaign and a collaborative effort to provide free or low cost access to these tools to all residents of Oakland. GCO is a citywide, strategic response to the “digital divide”.
Ending the digital divide requires a comprehensive approach. Oakland has many organizations, public and private, that provide free access to computers and the Internet including public and private wifi “hotspots” for those with wireless enabled devices.
But, ending the digital divide requires more
This website will provide information for residents, across Oakland to find:
- Access: Including free and low cost computer centers and free “hotspots”
- Acquisition: Different ways to acquire free or low cost computers and the Internet
- Tech Support : Free or low cost ways to keep it all working
- Training and Education: Learn to use computers for personal use and job readiness
- Adoption: How to integrate computers and the Internet into your every daily lift